Sunday, May 19, 2013

Butterfly Craft For Spring

Spring is a great time to explore nature with the little ones, and after a walk exploring nature why not let the kids learn about the life cycle of butterflies and make one to remember their nature walk.


I printed out a butterfly life cycle chart that kids could color, after we talked about the life cycle I let the kids color a coffee filter, which would become the butterflies wings.  It's up to the kids, but the wings can be colored with paint, crayons, markers or even chalk.  Then attach the wings to a clothespin.


Something fun that I did for my niece and nephew was that I got an empty toilet paper roll and used that as the butterflies cocoon.  Without the kids knowing what I did with the empty toilet paper roll, I placed the finished butterfly in the roll and wrapped it in paper.  We took another walk outside and talked about the life cycle and tried to find some butterflies, when we got back inside, I let the kids find the cocoon and open it to find their finished butterfly.



Such a great learning experience for kids of all ages.  Happy spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment